The Brandywine Elmira Collection
Mark Twain Study Built as a gift for Mark Twain in 1874 by his sister-in-law, Susan Crane, the study is shaped like a riverboat wheelhouse. Twain, born Samuel Clemens, wrote some of his most famous works in the study while summering in Elmira at the Crane home, Quarry Farm. In 1952 the Study was moved to the campus of Elmira College where it sits today.
The Elmiran Trolley A reproduction of a 1910-era streetcar, “The Elmiran” is built on a bus chassis using fixtures from an orginal trolley. The troley offers daily historical tours of the Elmira rea during the summer months.
Park Congregational Church Built in 1872, the revolutionary building plan provided a sanctuary for 1300 adults, as well as a kitchen, nursery, dance hall, and theatre. Its pastor for the first 30 years was the Reverend Thomas Beecher, a staunch abolitionist and brother of Harriet Beecher Stowe.
Chemung County Courthouse Located in the county seat of Elmira, NY, the courthouse was designed by Horatio Nelson White. It was erected in 1862 next to the original courthouse, circa 1836 which still stands. It has been pronounced “an architectural beauty of convenience and durability.”
The Christmas House Architects Pierce & Bickford designed this Queen Anne mansion and it was built by Justus B. Harris in the 1890′s. It was purchased by Daniel Sheehan, local mayor and dry goods store owner, in 1904. An apartment building since 1942, it was converted by Elaine & Tony DiBiase in The Chirstmas House in 1983 and became a Painted Lady in 1989.
Elmira City Hall Elmira’s City Hall was built in 1896 for $118,000 and was designed by the prestigious architects, Pierce and Bickford. The pediments are terra cotta figures representing agriculture, science, and the arts. Heavily dmaged by fire in 1909, it was rebuilt to be fireproof- a revolutionary idea at the time.
Chemung Valley History Museum Built in 1834 in the Federal style, this building was the original home of the Chemung Canal Bank and is where Samuel Clemens did his banking while summering in Elmira at Quarry Farm. One of the oldest buildings in downtown, it is now owned and operated by the Chemung County Historical Society.
Arnot Art Museum Built in 1833 as the home of John Arnot. In 1910, the mansion and its art treasures valued at over $2 Million were donated by the Arnot Family for the purpose of “establishing and maintaining an art gallery with free access to the public.”
Trinity Episcopal Church Built in 1857 at a cost of 30,000, this building replaced the original 20 year old structure which stood at Church Street and Railroad Avenue. A “Memorial Room” was donated by Marianna Arnot Ogden in 1882.
Old New York State Armory Erected in 1886 on Church Street, the Armory originally housed two companies of the 100th Battalion. Now owned by the City of Elmira, it is an annex to City Hall.
Old Steele Memorial Library Built in 1923, with $110,000 gift from the Carnegi Corporation, it replaced the original library at Lake and Market Streets. It was one of only a few Carnegie-financed libraries which did not carry the Carnegie name. It is now known as the Chemung County Commerce Center, housing the Chemung County Chamber of Commerce and other offices.
Old Elmira Post Office Built in 1903, it replaced an office in the Masonic Temple. The lobby contained Vermont marble walls and staircse and featured oak woodwork. The building cost $275,000.