Marlene Whiting, the designer and creator of the Brandywine Collection, lives and works in Yorktown, Virginia and still designs every Brandywine wooden building. Her dedication to her craft, and her attention to detail, inspired us to ask her to create a collection of miniature wooden buildings. In the Elmira Landmark Collection, we’ve chosen some of our favorite Elmira buildings and asked Marlene to reproduce them. Perfect above a doorway…or in any room in your home, it’s a conversation starter whether you live in Elmira or just have fond memories of your time here. Each building costs between $22.00 - $25.00 (depending on size usually) and includes a brief history on the back. $250.00 from each new building release is donated to a local charity.
Built in 1938 to replace a wooden grandstand destroyed by fire, Dunn Field was a gift to the City of Elmira by banker and philanthropist Edward J. Dunn (1868–1927). It has been home to minor league teams of the Dodgers, Browns, Senators, Phillies, Orioles, and Red Sox with many players reaching the Major Leagues. Babe Ruth and Earl Weaver played there. It is the current home for the Elmira Pioneers. 13th in a Series: Available September 23rd.
Located on East Church Street in Elmira, NY, against a backdrop of Twain’s study, this 3-dimensional sign features the likenesses of famous Elmirans: Brian Williams, Hal Roach, Ernie Davis, Mark Twain, Eileen Collins, John Jones, and Tommy Hilfiger. 14th in a Series: Available October 23rd.
Built in 1833 as the home of John Arnot, in 1910 the mansion and its art treasures, valued at over 2 million dollars, were donated by the Arnot family for the purpose of establishing and maintaining an art gallery with free access to the public.
Located in the County Seat of Elmira, New York, the courthouse was designated by Horatio Nelson White. It was erected in 1862 next to the original courthouse circa 1836 which still stands. It has been pronounced an architectual beauty of convenience and durability.
Built in 1834 in the Federal style, this building was the original home of the Chemung Canal Bank, and is where Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) did his banking while summering in Elmira. One of the oldest buildings in downtown, it is now owned and operated by the Chemung County Historical Society. 6th in the series.
Built as a gift for Twain in 1874 by his sister-in-law Susan Crane, the Study is shaped like a riverboat wheelhouse. Twain, born Samuel Clemens, wrote some of his most famous works in the Study on Quarry Farm. In 1952 the Study was moved to the campus of Elmira College.
Architects Pierce and Bickford designed this Queen Anne Mansion and it was built by Justus B. Harris in the 1890s. It was purchased by Daniel Sheehan, local mayor and dry good store owner, in 1904. An apartment building since 1942, it was converted by Elaine and Tony DiBiase into The Christmas House in 1983 and became a Painted Lady in 1989.
Built in 1857 at a cost of $30,000., this building replaced the original 20-year-old structure which stood at Church Street and Railroad Avenue. A “Memorial Room” was donated by Marianna Arnot Ogden in 1882.