Events Calendar - Holidays 2021
Monday, November 1: The Progressive Retirement SALE Begins
Friday - Sunday, November 5–7: Village Retirement Weekend
- Join us as we share what is going to be retired in the Department 56 villages, Snowbabies and Clothtique Santas
Thursday, November 11: Happy Veteran’s Day
- All Veterans receive a free truffle today
Saturday, November 13: The Release of the 2021 Eldridge Park Carousel Preservation Society Ornament
- No discounts on this item as 100% of the money goes to the park
Sunday, November 14: National Pickle Day
- All pickle ornaments are BOGO50 (buy one at the regular price and get the 2nd, lesser priced, at 50% off)
Friday - Sunday, November 19–21: Local & Community Partners Salute
- Please consider supporting one of our local or community/charity partners this weekend. Here’s how!
- Donate to the Arctic League (we have the book here!)
- Purchase the annual EPCPS ornament (this year the Tilt-A-Whirl, $32.40)
- Bring a gently used children’s book for the Bright Red Bookshelf
- We give 10% of each Myra bag purchase to our local Vietnam War Museum on Davis Street
- Meals on Wheels received all ($15.) of the Michael Veruto Christmas music CD
- Holiday Home tickets are now available (the event is Sunday, December 5)
- The Chamber of Commerce map is available in two sizes
- We still have a few packets of the Cmas greeting cards done by artists of Able2
- Several books by various local authors including the True Stories books ($14.95 and now 6 titles available)
- New selections of local clay artist, Jillian
Thursday, November 25: CLOSED for Thanksgiving Fun with our Families and Friends
Small Business Weekend: Friday, November 25 - Monday, November 28
- 20% off most items (ask us about exclusions)
- Gift with your purchase of $50 or more
Giving Tuesday, November 30
Monday, December 6: St Nicholas Day
- He was known for selling off his own items and then giving the money to the poor.
- He would commonly leave coins in people’s shoes and dedicated his entire life to serving people who were sick and suffering.
- This is how he gained his saint status, and is what inspired St. Nicholas Day (also commonly known as Feast Day or the Feast of St. Nicholas).
Wednesday, December 8: National Brownie Day
- Legend has it that the creation of brownies hales from the Palmer House Hotel in 1893.
- Bertha Palmer, a prominent Chicago socialite whose husband owed the hotel, asked a pastry chef for a dessert suitable for ladies attending the Chicago World’s Columbian Exposition.
- She requested a cake-like delicacy small enough to be included in boxed lunches.
- The result was the Palmer House Brownie with walnuts and an apricot glaze.
- The modern Palmer House Hotel serves a dessert to patrons made from the same recipe.
- The name was given to the dessert sometime after 1893, but was not used by cook books or journals at the time.
Thursday, December 9: Christmas Card Day
- All remaining boxed cards are 50% off
- Sir Henry Cole, a member of the British civil service, created the modern concept of the Christmas card along with his artist friend, John Horsley, in 1843, as a means to encourage more people to use the new British postal system.
- 1910 Hallmark Opens
- The Hall brothers open Hallmark in Kansas City, launching the modern Christmas card with a new, 4 x 6-inch format.
Saturday, December 25: Merry Christmas to All!
Sunday, December 26: Santa’s Gone, The SALE is ON!
- Most items 50% off
- Exclusions include local or charitable/community items
- ASK US for details
- Note that space will be limited in the store to make it comfortable to shop