The Christmas House Mobile Site | About the Christmas House



361 Maple Avenue
Elmira New York 14904
(607) 734-9547

About the Christmas House


On This Page…

History of The Christmas House

The dream began in 1983 when Elaine and Tony DiBiase purchased the home and decided to open a 3-room Christmas shop in September of that year. The house was recolored as a “painted lady” in 1988 by local colorist Paul Murphy and has been featured in the coffee table book “America’s Painted Ladies”. In 1993, The Christmas House was purchased by Julie and Mark Delgrosso, who continue to operate the business today. Not content to be “just” one of the most photographed buildings in the region, The Christmas House has also won numerous awards for their customer service and product knowledge. Beauty and brains.

History of our Queen Anne Victorian Mansion

Built in 1894 by lumber baron Justus Harris, and designed by famous architects Pierce and Bickford who also designed Elmira City Hall, the house was sold in 1904 to Daniel Sheehan, (1860 - 1951). The house became known locally as the Sheehan House. Daniel Sheehan served at various times as Elmira Mayor, Postmaster, Grand Knight of the Knights of Columbus, Publisher of the Elmira Herald, and New York State Democratic Chairman. He was co-owner of Sheehan-Dean Dry Goods, for many years Elmira’s largest department store. The Sheehan family lived in this house for 31 years and raised 6 children here. In 1936, with the family grown and gone, the Sheehans moved into a new smaller home on Larchmont Avenue.

In 1940, the house served as a residence for young men of the National Youth Administration, students of aviation at Schweizer Aircraft Corp. The following year, 1941, the building was divided into 9 apartments, with a beauty shop occupying much of the first floor.

History of Historic Maple Avenue

Maple Avenue, named for the large Maple trees that once lined both sides of the boulevard, was best known for it’s trolley run back in the 1800s. The tracks ran down the middle of the street and would whisk passengers from the downtown train stations to the bustling village of Wellsburg, an area boasting four tourist resort hotels at the time. These resorts were built over the natural mineral springs and visitors would flock to take advantage of their healing waters. Even Teddy Roosevelt found his way to Wellsburg to take advantage of the mineral springs. Regretfully, those four resorts, along with 95% of the rest of the village, were totally leveled in a devastating fire in 1912. Historic Maple Avenue has been the home to many well known Elmira families and also to three mayors, a congressman, a governor, and several judges.


Main Index

About the Christmas House

Contact Us

Coupon

Deck the Halls

Directions to the Christmas House

Events

Follow Us on Facebook

Fundraising Opportunities

Hours

Our Special Clubs

Plan a Party with Us

Start a Tradition

Welcome to Elmira!


  View Mobile Page   View for Mobile
  View Printer Friendly Page   Printer Friendly
  Add this page to your Favorites   Add to Favorites
  Like Us on Facebook   Like Us on Facebook

Bookmark and Share